History of Palmer, Texas
Also see information at US Gen Web Project - History Trumbull, which contains info about businesses in Palmer
Handbook of Texas Online - Palmer
Wikipedia - Palmer
City-Data - Palmer
US Gen Web Project - Palmer
Texas Escapes - Palmer - No listing
This is a link to a story about Joe Riley Crow, brother of Frances Anne Blocker. Joe Crow died during WWII on Iwo Jima.
We are including a very brief history of Palmer.
The land of Palmer is part of the early Raphael de la Peņa land grant, which was legalized on Oct. 22, 1834, title given by the Mexican government. The original grant was about 50,000 acres, included various areas of what is now Ellis County, and extends east to the Trinity River.
Early settlers to this area were (alpha order):
T. H. Andrews
Alfred Anthony - carpenter and builder
Jacob M. Blocker, 1876
John Bunker - successful farmer and merchant
J. J. Crawford built the first house in Palmer in 1874
P. R. Johnson
J. A. NeSmith, 1879
J. A. Payne
A. H. Rowe
Hans Smith on south side of Red Oak Creek - opened dry goods and grocery store
J. W. Stacks
Peter Stout on Grove Creek - built grist mill
and many more
The town of Palmer was established in 1872 and was incorporated in 1874. John A. Payne was the first mayor..
In 1872 the railroad line was completed and in 1874 a depot was established.
If you would like to expand this history, please email Lee@MyEllisCountyTX.com for information.
copyright 2009-2016 Lee Gabor & Associates all rights reserved